If you look at the effectiveness of email versus social media and look at the ROI, it’s clear that email is the winner. If you have to pick one over the other, email marketing is better because it reaches more people, generates more revenue and has a higher return than social media marketing.
To get the best return on investment, focus on email marketing and develop a social media marketing plan that, as well as making sense for the target audience you want to reach, drives people to sign up to your mailing list.
Email marketing and social media marketing are not the same and shouldn’t be treated as substitutes for each other. Social media marketing and email marketing offer their own unique advantages.
But email can be up to 40 times more effective at attracting new customers and developing a trusting relationship with subscribers, and remains important (even vital) for your overall marketing strategy.
In fact, social media marketing comes nowhere near email marketing when talking about Return on Investment. It’s the cheaper option to invest in, and it offers a much better conversion rate than social media.
Graph source: profitworks.ca
If social media is your main strategy, you should also have an email list.
- Social platforms can change there algorithms, policies, and more, at any time. This could have a major effect on your business. You’re not as in control of your followers, and your reach (the number of your followers who actually see your post) is incredibly small when compared to the reach of an email to your subscribers.
- You own your mailing list, and it’s a very high value asset for your business.
Your email list gives you:
- Targeted and highly personalised content – to an audience who have opted to receive your communications.
- Growing credibility and authority.
- Better brand recognition, as you stay front-of-mind with your regular mailings.
- Stronger customer relationships.
- Optimisation of your time and budget.
- Very clear metrics to learn what’s working or not.
- Increased traffic to your website.
- And more benefits.
Social media is very powerful, and of course has helped to build many successful businesses. Note though, that the most successful social media marketers also incorporate email marketing into the mix – which is partly what makes their social campaigns and strategies successful.
Again, your email subscribers are one of THE most valuable assets in your business. Ever wondered why social media platforms require your email address?
Ahem… Talking of building your email list – please consider signing up below! We value our subscribers, give you good value, and never spam.
Subscribe to the Aspect Avenue weekly email for more freelancer support
An Empowering Companion on Your Freelancing or Solopreneur Journey!
Delivered every Wednesday, with freelancing tips, strategies, ideas, news, and more…